Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Month = New Plan

I've been really struggling with running since the half marathon. I haven't been getting up early to run in the mornings. I've been skipping runs. I've been walking halfway through. It makes no sense that I dragged myself out of bed in freezing temperatures to run, but I can't do it now in gorgeous weather. So I'm giving myself a new plan. I've based it on the last four weeks of Hal Higdon's Novice HM Training Schedule. It will take me right up to the Frederick Half.

(# cross = minutes of cross training; "+" = add strength training after the run)



I'm feeling great about this plan for several reasons:
  1. I need to remember that getting out there and running 3 miles is an accomplishment. It's not much in the distance running world, but ask almost anyone else and they will tell you 3 miles is great.
  2. Anything more than 6-7 miles is still no joke for me. 9 miles is still a long run for me. The marathon schedule had me running 9 miles in the middle of the week, sandwiched between two 5 mile runs. I don't think so! (No wonder why I've been skipping the runs or walking).
  3. I can still run with my group on Tuesdays and Thursdays, because those distances match up with the full marathon training schedule. I can also run some of the Saturday long runs with the group because they taper in the last 2 weeks.
  4. I have really been wanting to add strength training to my workout plan. I'm thrilled that this plan includes strength training twice a week. A focused strength workout is a much different stress reliever than running. Plus, I need to tone up those arms for the wedding!
I have two favorite fitness DVDs that I will be using as the base of my strength workouts. First is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Second is Women's Health: Total Body Workout in Ten!. I ordered both DVDs from amazon.com over a year ago and I've been using them on and off since. I'll write reviews of both next week.




1 comment:

  1. I've seen marathon plans with double-digit runs midweek. That seems excessive for first-timers. I'd say to run whatever you feel comfortable with during the week. I ran mostly twice during the week while I trained for my marathon. Early on I was running 15-30 minutes, then it was 30-45 minutes and the last month or six weeks it was 45-60 minutes. I wasn't too concerned about the mileage as I was about the time. The mileage will work itself out.

    And don't worry about walking. It's not like there's a rule that says you are only a member of the club if don't walk.

    ReplyDelete