Tuesday, May 11, 2010

30 Day Shred

I've been using this DVD on and off for the past year. There are three different 30 minute workouts on the DVD, ranked by difficulty. The first time I tried Level 1, I couldn't finish. My cardio ability was nowhere near where it needed to be to do all those jumping jacks. I had to put my little 3 lb weights down and do the movements without them- and it was still tough. I've heard some people actually do this video for 30 days in a row, but I never tried that. I've just always used it in rotation with my other workouts. Since my first Shred workout, I've increased my weights from 3 to 5 lbs. I'm pretty good at Level 1, and I'm working on Level 2. I'm not really serious about progressing through the levels, but I think if I put the effort into it, I could see even more changes.

What I Like about the DVD: Jillian Michaels is tough. She tells you not to stop. She says when it starts to get tough is when it counts the most. I like the way she pushes people (and me). The workouts are really challenging. It's only 30 minutes, which makes it mentally easier to push through. It is definitely doable in the living room if you push the coffee table out of the way. It doesn't matter if you're on carpet or a hard floor. I like Anita and Natalie (the girls in the video). Anita does modifications; Natalie goes all out.

What I Don't Like About the DVD: In Levels 2 and 3, there are some quick transitions between doing some cardio on the floor (like mountain climbers) and cardio on your feet. I sometimes get dizzy when I stand up too fast. I hate all the exercises done in plank, but that's probably just because I'm not good at them. I wish Jillian did more of the workout with us.

Results: The biggest thing I noticed is increased stamina and definitely strength. My arms, legs, and abs are stronger than before. I can't really contribute any weight loss directly to The Shred (sorry Jillian!). When I first started the video I wasn't working out at all and I could only wear about 3 pairs of pants because they were the only ones in my closet that fit. So obviously beginning some sort of workout program is going to help you lose weight. I didn't follow a strict diet. But with The Shred and some running, I was able to lose 5 lbs and keep it off easily.

Do I Recommend It?: I definitely do. It is one of my go-to workouts, especially when I am pressed for time. I have the sequence for Level 1 memorized, so I can do the workout outside or in my gym at work without the video.

Rating: On a scale of 1-10, (where 1 is the DVD that comes with an as seen on tv electrostimulation ab belt, and 10 is the perfect video I've yet to find) I'd give the DVD a solid 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment