Friday, September 24, 2010

Fall Training Schedule

My Turkey Trot 5k plans have been foiled, because I'm not going to be where I thought I was going to be for Thanksgiving, so that race is out.  However, I'm still going to start with this training schedule and figure out the race schedule at a later date.  This training schedule will get me running regularly, and that's good enough for me.  I've found that just by getting our there and running, I improve.

The training schedule is based on Hal Higdon's Intermediate 5k training program.

To be honest, this schedule seems really tough for me, and I totally wasn't expecting to log so many miles training for such a short distance.  I hope I can do it, but if I have to shorten some of the Tuesday and Thursday runs in order to get a good strength workout in, I won't fret.  I'm trying to work on my speed, and this is my first attempt at doing any kind to speedwork or tempo runs, and I'm slightly frightened of the intervals on Mondays.  We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Intervals and tempo runs really do work. I have some interval runs if you want, I can pass em along. You can mold them to best suit you and where you are at. I've been using one workout for... since late 07, before I was really a runner. It's totally awesome. Good luck on Monday, will be looking forward to reading about your progress and runs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good training schedule to follow. I've run quite a few 5Ks and alot of runners will walk/run the race. So, even if you're not fully trained and prepared to run the full distance, simply participating in the event and being part of the race atmosphere is fun. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete