Friday, October 15, 2010

5k Goal Time

I honestly have no idea what my goal time should be for my 5k this weekend.  The only time I know my pace is when I'm on a treadmill.  I don't have a Garmin and I don't wear a watch, which means when I run outside I have no idea how fast or slow I'm going.  I only know how I feel.  I actually do much better (mentally) when I don't know exactly how far I've gone or what my time is.

But this does make it difficult to set race goals.

Current official 5k PR::: 29:26 (9:28 pace) from 2007
Best time that I am aware of::: at the National Half last March I ran the first 10k in 57:05 (9:12 pace)
Training so far::: I calculated that I ran 5k in my speed workout at 9:23 minutes per mile, and I ran 2 miles in under 16:00 this week.

Based on these factors, I think it is an attainable goal (and would be awesome) to run the 5k in under 28 minutes (9:00 pace).

The plan: start fast, take it back a notch in the middle if I have to, end with a strong kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment